Our family loves going to the movies, and we are excited to be a part of the Fandango Family. We have a growing list of movies that we want to go to the theater to see, including: Penguins of Madagascar, Big Hero 6, Interstellar, and of course, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1. Our family had to prep to go see Mockingjay Part 1; are you curious why? I’m a firm believer that trilogies are best viewed sequentially; it has been a while since Catching Fire came out and not everyone (ahem…Jeremy!) had seen The Hunger Games or Catching Fire.
If you are planning to binge watch a series, you’re gonna need a good snack. I’m sure that Katniss would have appreciated a bag of trail mix when she was competing in The Hunger Games. Who dares to watch a movie without popcorn? My four year old and I can easily eat an entire bag between us. I combined a nutty and sweet trail mix with the salty crunch of popcorn to create what my household refers to as “Mockingjay Trail Mix Popcorn.” Don’t let the name deceive you, this treat pairs well with any movie!
- 1 regular size bag of microwaveable popcorn, popped
- 1 cup broken pretzel pieces
- ⅓ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup peanuts
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Pop one regular size bag of popcorn in the microwave, and empty the popcorn into a large bowl (be careful to remove any unpopped kernels).
- Mix nuts, chips, and raisins in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds and stir. Microwave on 15 second increments until melted, stirring frequently.
- If mixture is too thick add a few teaspoons of vegetable oil; this depends on brand of chips used.
- Melted mixture should not be runny.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet or pan with wax paper (or spray with nonstick cooking spray).
- Allow microwaved chocolate mixture to cool a few minutes, just until warm but not hot.
- Note: Popcorn will shrivel if chocolate mixture is too hot, the previous step is very important.
- Dump the warm chocolate mixture over the popcorn, add pretzel pieces.
- Mix well until the popcorn is thoroughly coated.
- Spread popcorn out on baking sheet or pan until it is cooled.
- Do not place in fridge to get it to cool faster, this will also shrivel your popcorn.
- Coating should be firm in less than 30 minutes.
Family movie nights are a great way to spend time together. Winters in Kentucky can be unfriendly to outdoor activities, and the sun sets way too early. Who cares if it is dark and cold outside when you are in warm movie theater? We use our Fandango app to find a theater, select a movie, and even purchase our tickets. You can scan tickets straight from your smartphone, so there’s no need to stop and print.
I hope this Mockingjay Trail Mix Popcorn quenches your hunger, and maybe it will even help you prep for your next family movie night. What movies are on your family “must see” list?
Disclaimer: I am a Fandango Family Blogger and I received compensation in exchange for this post,
however all opinions contained herein are my own.