This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BigHero6MovieNight #CollectiveBias
One of my favorite family activities is family movie night. I love finding a great movie that the entire family will enjoy, making snacks, and cuddling on the couch. The release of Disney’s Big Hero 6 made my task much easier this week. I picked up the movie from Target, and I grabbed a few supplies to make white chocolate-coated chocolate marshmallow treats inspired by one of the film’s lead characters, Baymax.
I enjoy making snacks that my son can help prepare. We enjoy spending time together in the kitchen. One of his favorite snacks is marshmallow treats made with crispy rice cereal. He cut these in the shape of Baymax’s head and we coated them in white chocolate. I think he enjoyed helping me make them as much as he enjoyed eating them. He watched intently as I piped chocolate cookie icing to create Baymax’s eyes. If you’re curious how I found the cookie cutter shape, I couldn’t find one. I took an inexpensive tin round cookie cutter and bent it to create that oval.
- 6 cups chocolate crispy rice cereal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 8 ounces white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat
- Add marshmallows and stir slowly
- When marshmallows are very soft and nearly melted add crispy rice cereal
- Pour mixture in a parchment lined 13x9 baking pan
- Fold parchment paper across the top and press treats firmly into the pan
- Try to remove as many air pockets as possible and make the treats dense
- Allow treats to harden
- Cut treats with cookie cutter
- Place them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes
- Melt chocolate combined with vegetable oil in the microwave, stirring frequently, and heating in 15-20 second increments to prevent scorching.
- Dip tops of marshmallow treats into the melted chocolate
- Tip: Dip the side that was originallly pressed into the pan, this will be the flattest surface
- While still chocolate is still pliable use spoonfuls of chocolate to fill any voids and to level
- When white chocolate has hardened use chocolate cookie icing to create Baymax's eyes
- Tip: Draw the straight line across the center first and then two large circles on each end. This gives you the best dumbbell shape.
- Store in an air tight container until ready to serve
If you haven’t seen Big Hero 6, it’s available for purchase on Blu-ray and DVD. The action packed animated feature with the squishy and lovable Baymax was a hit with our entire family. I picked up our copy at Target in collectible packaging.
Do you have family movie nights or other family routines?