This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WeekNightHero #CollectiveBias
I’m pretty sure when my grandmother reads this recipe (yes, my grandmother visits my blog and uses Facebook daily) I’m going to hear something like, “Cheater, cheater, chicken and dumplin’ eater.” No one makes chicken and dumplin’s (we forego the ‘g’ down here) quite like my grandmother. Dozens of little ladies in my childhood church and during the yearly festival made chicken and dumplings, and I dare say none can hold a candle to my grandmother’s. They were a food staple in my childhood, and they’re definitely a staple in many southern households. I’m sure this is because they aren’t expensive and you can make them in large batches to feed a crowd. It wasn’t uncommon that my grandmother would inexpensively feed 20 or more on a Sunday after church. Preparing them can be time consuming if you include preparing your own chicken stock and rolling out the dough. This cheater version of Chicken and Dumplings is made with Campbell’s Creamy Herb and Garlic with Chicken Stock. The Campbell’s Soup helps you get this southern favorite to the table faster and with less work. They’re easy and quick enough for a weekday evening dinner, satisfying enough for Sunday supper.
If I had to choose a dish that reminds me of my childhood, it would be chicken and dumplings. My grandmother’s recipe is very basic; she prepared her own chicken broth and made her own dough most of the time. I decided to add a few vegetables to my recipe so that I didn’t have to worry with preparing lots of side dishes. This recipe includes onions, mushrooms, and shredded carrots, but feel free to adjust to your family’s taste. This version will serve a large family, so feel free to cut the recipe in the half. You can also roll out a can of buttermilk biscuits instead of prepping dough as instructed below; this would make the recipe even quicker to prepare. Make sure you check out the link below for a coupon for .75 off a box of Campbell’s Soups for Easy Cooking.
- 2 boxes Campbell's Creamy Herb & Garlic with Chicken Stock
- 2 pounds boneless/skinless chicken thighs (can substitute with breast in a pinch)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup sweet onion, sliced
- ¾ cup carrot, shredded
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ¾ cup buttermilk (can substitute regular milk in a pinch)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs rosemary, finely diced
- 3 sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon thyme, diced
- Rinse and dry chicken, and salt and pepper to taste
- Brown/Cook chicken in the bottom of a large pot with oil.
- Remove chicken from the pot and store covered until ready to use.
- Add carrots, onions, and desired herbs to the pot.
- Cook until nearly softened and add mushrooms to brown.
- Lower heat to low/medium
- Add soup and milk to pot
- Bring to a low boil
- Shred or dice previously cooked chicken and add to pot
- Add dumplings in small handfuls and stir frequently in one direction
- Do not add dumplings all at once
- Cook for 10 minutes after last dumplings were added
- Dumpling prep:
- Mix flour, shortening,and buttermilk in a medium bowl with your hands.
- A dough ball will gradually form
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to desired thickness
- Slice into 1 inch squares with a pizza cutter
You can discover more Campbell’s Soup goodness by following their social channels below:
Campbell’s Soups for Easy Cooking are available in the soup aisle at Walmart.
Do you have any heirloom recipes that you enjoy sharing with your family?