I’m pretty sure my mom avoided taking us with her to the grocery store at all cost. I have very few memories of grocery shopping with her growing up; personally I wouldn’t want to shop with four kids. We didn’t get much choice with breakfast cereal or any other foods. We ate whatever she picked up, but my great grandmother was different. What are grandmother’s good at? She spoiled us by letting us pick what we wanted and she would put it on her grocery list. My cousin and I loved Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and it’s now a favorite of my own son. He especially loves them now because they contain Skylanders Skystone card game sets. He and I created these Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes while he “taught” me more about Skylanders.
These cupcakes are so much fun to make. The cupcake batter is loaded with Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and the light cream cheese whipped cream frosting is rolled in crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch. This is definitely a recipe that your kids can help you make. If you don’t feel like making the cake entirely from scratch, you can use your favorite boxed yellow cake mix and just add in the Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.
- Cake Mix
- 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 cup crunch Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
- Preheat oven 350F
- Line muffin tin with cupcake wrappers
- Put all of the dry ingredients (except Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal) in mixing bowl
- Add in wet ingredients and beat well
- Fold in the cereal
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- While cupcakes are cooling prepare frosting
- Beat cream cheese
- Add in two tablespoons of whipped cream
- Mix together well
- Add remaining whipped cream a few dollops at a time, mixing between spoonfuls
- *If you try to mix all the whipped cream and cream cheese together at once, you will get lumps
- Pipe or spoon icing on to cooled cupcakes
- Roll cupcakes in crushed cereal immediately before serving otherwise it will get soft
Gabe has been scavenging our specially-marked Big G cereal boxes looking for the Skylanders Skystone card game sets. He likes to match the cards with the Skylanders in his book, and we read about each one together. I love how imaginative he becomes talking about the powers and weaknesses of each Skylander. The game sets include a pack of 10 Skylanders Skystone game cards and board that can be cut from the back of the cereal box. He loved how it paired with the Skylanders toys that he already had.
If your child loves Skylanders make sure you look for participating Big G cereals with specially-marked boxes, including: Reese’s Puffs, Fruity Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Cookie Crisp, Lucky Charms, Trix, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. There are four card game sets in total, and they also include a code to unlock characters in the mobile Skylanders game. Make sure you check out future offers and prizes in General Mills cereals the rest of the year.
Did you have a favorite Big G cereal when you were growing up?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.