“I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Calphalon. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”
I was very excited when I received the email that Calphalon was sending me their Self-Sharpening Cutlery Set. I cook a lot, and I love a good set of knives. What do you hate to cut up in the kitchen? Personally, I hate peeling and dicing potatoes. My hearty Beef Stew with Beer is loaded with potatoes and other root vegetables that can be tough to chop. I thought it would be a great recipe to share and use to show off my new set of knives. If you want to win a set for yourself, check out my giveaway at the bottom of this post.
Even if you don’t like beer or you don’t typically consume alcoholic beverages, nearly all of the alcohol cooks out of the stew; in fact, letting the stew simmer for longer cooks more of it off. I add the stout beer (I highly recommend the stout because of the richness of its flavor) early in the cooking process so that it has time to cook down and really tenderize the meat. I used just basic stew meat in this pot of stew, and it was falling apart when we ate it.
- 1½ lbs beef stew meat
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-6 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- ½ cup diced fresh mushrooms
- 1 12 ounce bottle of stout beer
- 48 ounces beef stock
- In a large pot, bring olive oil up to medium heat
- Roll stew meat in flour
- Cook it in the oil for several minutes on each side until browned (but not done)
- Remove meat from the pot
- Add diced onion and garlic, cook until transparent and aromatic
- Add browned beef, beer, and half of the beef stock
- Cover and simmer on medium/low for an hour, checking frequently
- Add remaining beef stock
- Add peeled and diced potatoes, carrots, and parsnips.
- Add mushrooms and finely diced parsley if desired
- Allow all ingredients to simmer together for roughly another hour until vegetables are tender
- If stew is too thick add small amounts of water until desired consistency is reached
This recipe does not have tomato paste, so it’s a little different than others you might encounter. I love tomatoes, but I feel like these flavors really complement each other without them. I also typically use Irish Red Potatoes in my stews; I like that they don’t turn entirely to mush in the pot.
Are you curious about how my new knives fared against the potatoes, carrots, and parsnips? They cut right through them with ease. I was actually a little timid using these knives at first because they seemed extra sharp and slightly pointy. They made prep work so much easier for this recipe.
Jeremy peeling a potato.
If you need to sharpen up your knife skills, Calphalon has a great set of YouTube tutorials. I’m going to embed the onion video, because that’s an item I struggle with. I’m not a trained chef, I’m just a woman who learned to cook from her family members, non of whom are chefs. I still haven’t perfected my dicing and chopping skills, so a good set of knives are very helpful to me.
The Calphalon Self-Sharpening Cutlery are available in three great sets:
- A 15 piece Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening Cutlery priced at $179.99
- A 16 piece Calphalon Contemporary Series German Steel Self-Sharpening Cutlery priced at $219.95
- A 15 piece Calphalon Precision Series Fully Forged Self-Sharpening Cutlery priced at $279.99
The self-sharpening cutlery features SharpIn technology that uses ceramic sharpers built into the storage block. This helps to ensure that the knives are sharpened at the correct angle and helps to ensure you always have a sharp blade. These knives would make a great addition to a wedding registry (I would put them on mine, if I didn’t already have a set). Easier slicing will make preparation time faster, and help you spend less time in the kitchen. They’re made from high carbon, forged stainless steel. The handles are beautiful and comfortable in your hands.
Interested in winning your own set of Calphalon Contemporary Self-Sharpening 15 piece Cutlery Set? You can entire using the widget below and the winner’s information will be forwarded to the company for prize fulfillment.
Good luck everyone and please let me know if you try the Beef Stew!