This is a sponsored post on behalf of Sweet Scarletts and Millennial Blogs, however all opinions are entirely my own.
It’s vacation and swimsuit season: the time of year when many people become much more mindful of what they eat. And, in my house, it’s also wedding preparation time, so I’m extra mindful of my own calorie intake. I always try to be conscious of what I eat because my family has a history of heart disease and diabetes. I recently came to the realization that, despite my youthful attitude, I’m not getting any younger. I know I need to change my diet, and that includes eating more fruits and vegetables. This Citrus Pasta Salad is loaded with Sweet Scarletts grapefruit, blood oranges, red onion, and diced kale.
Doesn’t that salad look colorful? It isn’t too heavy on pasta like many other pasta salads. Personally, I think it’s a nice balance of fresh fruit, vegetables, and pasta. This citrus pasta salad has a light coating of olive oil mixed with orange zest, grapefruit zest, grapefruit juice, and honey.
The most important ingredient in this Citrus Pasta Salad is the Sweet Scarletts Texas Red Grapefruit. I’ll be honest, I’ve never been a fan of grapefruit, no matter how you slice it. I remember always thinking they tasted slightly bitter and not remotely sweet, until I had one of the Sweet Scarletts. They’re unlike any grapefruit that I’ve ever eaten. I enjoy them plain as a snack, but they’re also fun to cook with.
Did you know that 1/2 a grapefruit provides 100% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C? Sweet Scarletts Texas Red Grapefruit are also non-GMO produce. They’re naturally fat-free, cholesterol-free, and sodium-free.
Sweet Scarletts have a distinctive flavor and a natural sweetness that complements this recipe; I think it would be hard to switch out for another variety of grapefruit. You can find Sweet Scarletts at many grocery stores, or you can look for local retailers local in your area here.
- 1 large Sweet Scarletts Texas Red Grapefruit
- 1 large blood orange
- 1 cup diced kale
- 8 oz shell shaped pasta
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Boil pasta according to package directions and drain
- Zest Sweet Scarlett's and blood orange, and set aside
- Slice fruits ¼ inch thick and trim the rind
- Separate fruit into chunks
- Thinly slice red onion
- Remove stems from kale and dice
- Prepare dressing by mixing olive oil, zest, juice, and honey
- Place pasta in a large bowl
- Add sliced grapefruit, orange, kale, red onion, and dressing
- Mix well
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve
- Optional garnish with wedged fruit
Do you like grapefruit? Even if you think you don’t like grapefruit, Sweet Scarletts Texas Red Grapefruit is worth a try. I did, and I was pleasantly surprised.