“This is a sponsored post, however all opinions are entirely my own.”
It only took my son one glance to tell me where this cake came from. The Big Donut only appears in the film for a few seconds, but it plays an integral part in the plot of the latest Disney animated film, Zootopia. I don’t want to spoil the movie for you if you haven’t seen it, but The Big Donut eventually saves Judy’s life and helps her solve the case. If you haven’t seen the film yet, I suggest you take your school-aged child and go. My Zootopia inspired The Big Donut cake requires minimal baking and artistic design talents. It would be fun birthday cake for a Zootopia themed birthday party and it’s quick enough to make on whim to host a viewing party with your kiddos closet pals when it’s released on DVD. Do you love to go to the movies? I’m currently hosting a giveaway for $100 Fandango gift card, and you can find details about entering for your chance to win at the bottom of this post.
Our family loves going to the movies together and we especially love Disney films. I’ve spent the last 18 months as a Fandango Family ambassador, which has helped to subsidize many of our movie dates. We used one of our Fandango gift cards to go watch Zootopia a few weekends ago. It was fun-filled evening for our entire family. We love the convenience of Fandango, because we can purchase tickets online or using the Fandango app. Many theaters have the ability to scan the app instead of printing paper tickets.
So what’s the deal about The Big Donut? Well without completely spoiling the movie, watch this clip:
Judy eventually crosses paths again with the mole she saves, and that little mole might end up saving Judy.
For this DIY Zootopia Inspired The Big Donut Cake you’ll need a few items:
- Angel food cake pan
- 1 Butter Yellow Cake Mix & ingredients required on packaging
- 1 can chocolate cake frosting
- 1 small package of pink fondant
- 1 canister of large sprinkles
- 1 1/2 to 2 inch alphabet letter cookie cutters
I picked up my supplies from the local craft store.
- 1 Butter Yellow Cake mix
- ½ can cake chocolate frosting
- ¼ cup large sprinkles
- ½ small package of pink fondant
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions
- Bake in an well greased angel food cake pan
- Allow cake to cool completely
- Heat ½ can of chocolate frosting on 15-20 sec intervals in the microwave, stirring frequently
- Pour small amounts of melted frosting onto the cake at a time
- Spread until it barely starts to run over the edge
- Top with sprinkles before frosting sets
- Add fondant letters
- While cake is baking, use powdered sugar to roll out fondant into thin layer
- Using 1½ inch or 2 inch alphabet cookie cutters, cut the letters THE BIG DONUT
- Allow letters to set out for 20-25 minutes until they start to harden
- Use damp paper towel to wipe off the excess powdered sugar
- Add the letters immediately following the sprinkles before the icing sets
Have you ever used the Fandango app or purchased tickets from Fandango.com? What movies would you go see if you won the $100 Fandango gift card.