One of the hardest parts of returning from our 12 day cruise was getting myself back in the cooking groove. We had three meals a day prepared for us, and I just wasn’t ready to cook three meals a day for the three of us when we came back. I noticed a few lemons and some blueberries in our kitchen, and I knew the blueberries wouldn’t stay fresh for long. Jeremy was really missing his made to order breakfast, so I thought Lemon Blueberry Muffins might ease his “distress” and remind us of our honeymoon trip. Today, I’m sharing a classic Lemon Blueberry Muffin Recipe and a few lemon filled memories from our brief time in Sorrento.
While in the port of Naples, we visited the coastal town of Sorrento. They’re famous for producing Limoncello, and they sell lemon merchandise all over the town. I picked up a lovely lemon tea towel and some salt and pepper shakers with a lemons painted on them to remind me our our trip.
I prefer lemons in cakes, tarts, and muffins much more than in limoncello. We brought back a bottle from Italy, and I haven’t acquired the taste for it yet.
This recipe was even Gabe approved. Lol He likes to randomly appear in my photography.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (can substitute regular milk)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¾ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt)
- In a separate bowl combine all of the wet ingredients ( egg, milk, vanilla, juice, zest)
- Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined
- Fold in blueberries
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin tin
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown
Please let me know if you try my Lemon Blueberry Muffin Recipe. I love to hear reader feedback. If you want to know more about our 12 day honeymoon or need information about planning your own trip, check out my related travel posts here.