This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HelloFreshPics #CollectiveBias #cbias
I loathe going to the grocery store, and not because I hate spending the money. I struggle to piece together meals, and I don’t like throwing out food because it spoiled in the fridge. One of the easiest ways to prevent this is meal planning. I’ve tried to plan ahead to avoid over shopping or missing anything I might actually need. I’ve found that using HelloFresh helps incredibly with meal planning and takes some of the burden out of weekly grocery shopping trips. I also created menu chalkboard and I’ve included this farmhouse chalkboard tutorial.
You’ll need the following supplies to create this farmhouse style chalkboard:
- Chalkboard Paint
- 24×36 plywood board (with as little grain as possible)
- Finish nails
- Wood glue
- 3-4 pieces o 1/4x3x4 Craft wood (I used poplar from the hardware store)
Farmhouse Chalkboard Tutorial:
- Lightly sand the plywood board
- Clean residue with a damp cloth and allow to dry
- Coat plywood with chalkboard paint according to manufacturer’s directions
- Allow ample drying time between coats
- Prime chalkboard by using the side of the chalk to wipe a fine layer of chalk across the chalkboard
- Wipe the excess chalk into the surface and then wipe off
- Cut the craft wood into two 24 inch strips (double check the measurement with your individual board) and two 30 inch strips
- Paint the craft wood
- Use the left over scraps to help reinforce the corners
- Gently nail the corners together
- Apply desired hardware to hang or lean it up against a wall on a tabletop
Farmhouse Chalkboard Tutorial Tips:
- Remember that this was meant to be a rustic, farmhouse style chalkboard, don’t get too fussy over small details
- I used milk paint on the wood trim. It dries very fast, it’s non-toxic, and it helps give wood a very authentic farmhouse look.
- Resist the urge to use a chalkboard marker. Most will stain your board.
I constructed this project to be a weekly menu board, but it could serve many purposes. It will help me with meal planning and keeping our schedule in order.
HelloFresh really helps me with meal planning. My mom was a nurse and had 4 kids spread out over 7 years. We ate the same meals over and over. I’m pretty sure that’s why you’ll rarely make the same thing twice in one month unless it’s spaghetti or pizza which are favorites of my son. HelloFresh helps to take some of the stress out of meal planning and shopping. I receive a box with includes all the ingredients and directions for three different recipes. The family size boxes creates 3 meals for a family of 4 or 12 servings total. It really helps diversify our monthly menu and prevents me from getting bored with cooking.
Last week my HelloFresh delivery included:
- Jaime’s Oozy Shrimp Risotto with Tomatoes and Chile
- Caramelized-Pineapple Burgers with Monterey Jack Cheese and Red Cabbage Slaw
- Chipotle-Rubbed Chicken Salad
Here’s a few photos of the dishes that I made:
The HelloFresh recipes aren’t complicated, most home cooks would have the necessary tools and skills required to make the dishes. The pre-measured ingredients mean little or no waste, which is an added bonus. HelloFresh includes nutritional information, and they help ensure that each meal includes protein, fresh vegetables, and a starch, which are approved by their in-house dietician.
HelloFresh also has a mobile friendly app that makes it easier to manage your subscription, and a database of previous recipes so you can remake your favorites at home.
In January of this year, they added the option of a weekly recipe from Chef Jamie Oliver. His recipe in my HelloFresh delivery box was Jamie’s Oozy Shrimp Risotto with Tomatoes & Chile. It was delicious, and possibly our favorite.
How do you navigate the grocery store each week and do you plan out family meals? Do you feel like you don’t have time to shop and cook? HelloFresh provides an easy meal planning solution for busy families. You can check out their website here and use the code JessicaH35 for $35 off your first box. If you have any questions about the Farmhouse Chalkboard Tutorial please send me an email or leave a comment.