Farmhouse style decor is one of the hottest trends in home decorating at the moment. We live in a farmhouse on a farm, so it kinda makes sense for us. I also have a growing collection of family heirlooms and antiques, that fit in with that style. I’ve been adding farmhouse style signs to our house one at a time. This is my first farmhouse style sign tutorial, and I’ll be adding the others that I’ve designed and made in the next few weeks. This DIY Farmhouse Sign just requires a few supplies and less than an hour to finish. I’ve also partnered with several other Cricut bloggers to feature some of our projects, and to give away a box of Cricut supplies. The complete details are at the bottom of this post.
- Design Space Installed on a phone, tablet, or computer
- This design file
- Cricut transfer tape
- Cricut Vinyl
- Two colors of paint (I used milk paint)
- 4 feet x 8 inches x 1 or 1/2 (I used a 1 inch thick board because I already had it on hand)
DIY Farmhouse Sign Directions:
- Lightly sand the wood board and wipe off the dust
- Put a coat of paint on the board in the color that you would like the lettering to be
- Allow it to dry
- Apply a second coat.
- While the paint is drying
- Cut the design out of vinyl
- Adhere it to transfer tape
- When the board is dry, center and apply the vinyl lettering.
- Lightly apply paint around the vinyl letters in the color that you previously used.
- Allow the paint to dry
- Paint the entire sign, and when dry apply a second coat
- Using your Cricut tools carefully remove the vinyl letters
- Apply desired hardware and hang
Don’t fret too much about your design being absolutely perfect. I’ve never seen an antique wooden sign that was. You can also lightly distress it if desired. I used milk paint, so my version also has a rustic look. Milk paint dries very fast and it has a pretty finish; I love using milk paint.
I’m excited to join 22 other super talented bloggers for the Fall Cricut Challenge. Check out what these talented ladies created below and enter to win a HUGE box of supplies from Cricut!
DIY Faux Leather Jewelry from It Happens In A Blink
DIY Trick or Treat Bags from Housewives of Riverton
Easy Triangle Garland from Our Thirfty Ideas
Halloween Skull Leggings from 7Alive
Fall No Sew Buffalo Check Pillow from Lydi Out Loud
Brand Sparkling New Onesie from Tastefully Frugal
Cinderella Pumpkins from Auntie Tay
DIY Halloween Pillow from The Happy Scraps
Falling For You Shirt from The Quiet Grove
Faux Leather Flower Clips from 5 Little Monsters
Something Wicked This Way Comes Banner from Albion Gould
Blessed Flower Arrangement from Crafting In The Rain
Squad Ghouls Halloween T-Shirt from Housewife Eclectic
DIY Leather Bows from Artsy-Fartsy Mama
BOO Halloween Headbands from RaeGun Ramblings
DIY Flower Skull From Cloudy Day Gray
Kids Thanksgiving Graphic T-Shirts from Over The Big Moon
Faux Leather Floral Cuffs from Hello Creative Family
Fall Paper Leaf Wreath from Frenchie Wraps
Glitter Apron from Midge and Madge
DIY Fall Mantel from Major Hoff Takes A Wife
Halloween Party Props from Nite Owl Creates
Disney Savings Jar from Inspiration Made Simple
DIY Farmhouse Sign from A Southern Mother
Want to make one (or all) of these projects? We’ve teamed up with Cricut to help with that! Enter through the widget below to win a HUGE box full of supplies including:
Giveaway is open to residents of US and Canada ages 18+. Giveaway ends on 10/21/2016 at Midnight MST. Winner will be notified within 24 hours and has 24 hours to respond.