“This post is written by me on behalf of General Mills. All opinions are entirely my own. This shop has been compensated by Acorn Influence, Inc. and its advertiser.”
My son would eat mac and cheese nearly every day if I would make it for him, but he’s lucky if I make it once a week. I try to get creative with mix-ins so that we enjoy it to. Some of the quickest versions just require me to throw in some diced broccoli, spinach or tomatoes. My favorite versions of mac and cheese are baked with breadcrumbs and cheese on top. This recipe for Pesto Mac and Cheese is quick and simple. I use Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese as base, and mixed in basil pesto before baking it with a mixture of cheeses and breadcrumbs. It’s a grown-up version of mac and cheese that my son enjoys too.
I previously mentioned that my son loves mac and cheese, so it’s much easier to buy it in bulk. Our local Sam’s Club carries Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese 12 pack, which has three varieties including Shells and Real Aged Cheddar, Shells and White Cheddar, and Macaroni and Cheese. I love that pack because it gives us some variety, and I can be creative with mix-ins. It’s hard for me to choose a favorite between the Shells and Real Aged Cheddar and Shells and White Cheddar.
- 1 box of Annie’s Organic Shells and White Cheddar prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- ½ cup of crush breadcrumbs or panko
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ⅛ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup grated white cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare the Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese according to package directions
- Lightly grease a small baking dish
- Mix in the pesto to mac and cheese
- Pour mixture into the baking dish
- In a small mixing bowl combine the breadcrumbs, butter, parmesan and cheddar.
- Pour across the top of the mac and cheese
- Bake for 15 mins or until lightly brown on top
This Pesto Mac and Cheese Recipe is just one of the many ways that you can make Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese a little fancier.
My son would argue that the best way to eat Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese is prepared plain according to the package directions, but since we purchase it in bulk there’s no need to fight. Sam’s Club has a wide variety of natural and organic products available for purchase. Here are a few of our favorites; the Cascadian Farm Chewy Bars are great on the go.
Do you ever add mix-ins to boxed mac and cheese? I hope you’ll give this Pesto Mac and Cheese recipe a try and look for Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese at Sam’s Club.