Several years ago a good friend’s mother was going through chemotherapy; they were trying to give her a few more comfortable months with her family. She was a tiny woman before she was diagnosed with cancer, but the treatments whittled her down to about 80 pounds. I knew she loved strawberries and one week I decided to take her a homemade strawberry pie. My friend told me that she ate almost the entire pie, over a matter of days. As long as she was able to eat solid food, I tried to make her a pie every week. Now when I make this homemade strawberry pie recipe, I think of her. The only change that I’ve made to this recipe is the addition of a pretzel crust; she preferred a regular pie crust. You could also use a graham cracker crust too.
This homemade strawberry pie recipe is so much better than any store-bought pie filling that you’ll ever eat. The great thing about this recipe is that it can be made in a matter of minutes and easily stored in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it (or share).
You’ll need a few ingredients for the pretzel pie crust:
- 2 cups finely crushed pretzels (I give mine a whirl in the blender)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup of melted butter or margarine
Pretzel pie crust directions:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Press in the bottom of a pie or casserole dish
- Bake for roughly 8 minutes
When I make this pie in a deep casserole dish as pictured above, I generally double the strawberry filling recipe.
- 3 pints of thoroughly washed and thinly sliced strawberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 3 ounce package of strawberry gelatin
- In a small saucepan bring water to a boil
- Add in sugar and cornstarch
- Mix until completely dissolved
- Allow mixture to thicken
- Mix in strawberry gelatin and remove from heat
- Allow mixture to cool for 10 minutes before pouring over berries (this will help prevent them from cooking)
If you love strawberries as much as we do, here are a few other strawberry recipes that you might like:
- Blackberry Strawberry Cobbler
- Strawberry Mint Muffins
- Strawberry Hand Pies
- Strawberry Freezer Jam
- Strawberry Shortcake
Two of our favorite recipes from that list is the Strawberry Freezer Jam (we make several batches every year) and the Strawberry Shortcake.
What are your favorite strawberry recipes? I’d love to know what you’ve been cooking and what you think of the homemade strawberry pie recipe.