This post is sponsored by Wellness® Natural Pet Food and the BlogPaws® Pet Influencer Network™. I am being compensated to help share the reinvented Complete Health Line and other Wellness Products, but we only share information we feel is relevant to our readers. Wellness is not responsible for the content of this article.
Summer time can be lots of fun for your entire family, including your dog; it can also be dangerous. Families often travel, spend more time outside, and swim. If your family is like ours, we normally allow our dogs to partake in some of the same activities. Here are some tips for keeping your dog safe during the summer.
This is our Rottweiler puppy Kitty, she’ll be one year old in a few days. She is a huge part of our lives, and we treat her just like any other member of the family. She is a lot like my 6-year-old son; if you don’t keep her busy, she’ll lovingly tear the house down. We take her outside at least once, and sometimes twice a day to play ball or frisbee. We’re lucky that we live on a farm, so she has lots of room to play.
If she doesn’t get taken outside regularly to play, this happens:
Tips For Keeping Your Dog Safe During The Summer:
Some of these tips can be used year round, but many are targeted toward the summer months when we spend more time with our dogs outdoors and traveling.
buy desyrel online https://medstaff.englewoodhealth.org/wp-content/languages/new/desyrel.html no prescription
During the summer months, we try to take her out to play in the morning and in the evening. The summer heat is especially hard on dark-colored dogs, and I don’t want to risk her overheating. We normally feed her very early and wait a while before we take her to play, or we take her to play and let her cool back off before we feed her. It’s not good to exercise on a full stomach, and the same is true for dogs.
- One of the foundations of overall dog wellness is feeding a high quality dog food.
Our dogs only eat Wellness® Complete Health™ Grain Free dog food. As a treat for training, a bully stick is a really good, nutritious option. For main meals though, Wellness®gives our dogs the energy they need to play because they only use high quality proteins from trusted suppliers. Either deboned poultry, lean meats or fresh fish are the first ingredients in all formulas of Wellness® pet foods.Wellness® Complete Health™ Grain Free uses quality protein sources to help your dog(s) build and maintain lean muscle mass, and fatty acids to help support healthy skin & coat. I think our Kitty has a gorgeous coat, and I know that feeding her Wellness® Complete Health™ Grain Free contributes to her skin and coat health. They also use a variety of fresh and dried fruits and vegetables that are rich in nutrients to provide flavor, taste, and fiber. Wellness® uses prebiotics and specialized forms of fiber which help stimulate the growth of good bacteria in the intestines. Probiotics can help restore the good bacteria balance in the digestive tract. By including both prebiotics and probiotics, it helps to ensure your pet can absorb necessary nutrients and helps them to digest food more efficiently. I appreciate that Wellness® only uses conscious ingredient sourcing and the highest quality standards with super nutrients to help ensure your dog is receiving wholesome, protein rich nutrition.
buy diflucan online https://medstaff.englewoodhealth.org/wp-content/languages/new/diflucan.html no prescription
- Providing clean, fresh drinking water is necessary year round, but dogs can easily become dehydrated during the summer months. Did you know that your pet needs about one ounce of water per pound of body weight. Our Rottweiler Kitty needs 60-70 ounces of water per day, and our pound puppy Matilda Mouse needs 8-10 ounces.
Dehydration can make your dog more susceptible to heat exhaustion or heat stroke.
- Never, ever leave a pet unattended in a vehicle, even with the windows cracked. Air temperature inside a vehicle can raise 20 degrees F in as few as 10 minutes. Typically a body temperature of 106F or above can cause a heat stroke in dogs, but short nosed, dark-colored, long-haired, aged, or obese dogs are more susceptible.
- If you have to leave your dog at home then make sure they have plenty of water and they have a cool place to chill. We keep the air conditioning left on when we’re out so Kitty can have a nice cool room. If you don’t have air conditioning then you may want to look into getting an air conditioning contractor to install you one.
- If you’re traveling, make sure that your pet can ride safely and securely in the vehicle. You should carry extra food and water in case you are delayed or stranded. Keep emergency contact information in your vehicle for your pet including pertinent information such as a photo of your pet, microchip numbers, veterinary information, or other identification in the event you are involved in an accident or otherwise rendered unable to care for your pet.
buy doxepin online https://medstaff.englewoodhealth.org/wp-content/languages/new/doxepin.html no prescription
When I was a young girl, my good friend’s cocker spaniel drowned in her pool. The cocker spaniel regularly swam in the pool, but one day while unattended, she got in the pool and couldn’t get out. My friend found her beloved dog at the bottom of her pool. The saddest tragedy is one that could have been prevented. Water safety during the summer months is extremely important for dogs.
- Always know your dog’s swimming level, but don’t rely on that too heavily. Things can happen in the water that make it difficult for them to return to to the water’s edge. If you’re regularly in or near the water with your dog, consider getting them a well-fitting life vest. If you have a pool, consider getting a fence or other barrier to prevent pets and children from getting in when you’re unaware. Even dogs who seem afraid of the water or won’t swim are at risk for falling in.
- Always use the proper parasite prevention including a heartworm preventative. Parasite infestation can cause a myriad of health problems.
- Fireworks are often used for celebrations during the summer months. Pets can be terrified of them. If fireworks startle your pet or upset your pets, place them in a secure area away from noise, pets often become a lot more anxious around this time as it can be nerve racking with the loud bangs and noises. It may be a good idea to have a look into finding out more about how CBD can help calm and destress your animals, they have really positive effects and could really help – you can Click Here to read more if you think this would help. On another note, it is important to always keep your pet leashed or contained for safety reasons around fireworks. Dogs can become easily injured, but they can also be suddenly startled and run away.
- Consider using a pet safe sunscreen on hairless, white, or thin coated dogs. Dogs can get sunburned too.
- Invest in a first aid kit specifically for dogs or consider purchasing all the supplies individually to make your own. You should have one in your vehicle and one in your home.
- No one likes to think too much about the possibility of their pet attacking anyone in their home and it should be noted that as long as your dog is well trained, it is highly unlikely that your dog will attack another person. However, it is important to remember that in most situations, dog owners owe a reasonable duty of care to anyone lawfully on their property and should take steps to prevent their pet biting or attacking people. Consequently, if an injured person can show that the owner of a dog was negligent or failed to use reasonable care in restraining the dog or warning of the dangerous propensities of the dog, the injured person can sue for damages in many states. Correspondingly, premises liability is a legal concept that usually comes into play in personal injury cases where the injury was caused by some type of unsafe or defective condition on someone’s property. This involves keeping potentially dangerous animals away from guests or being sure to put up warning signs about the animal’s propensities. You can learn more about the law surrounding premises liability here: www.helpinginjuredpeople.com/personal-injury-attorney/premises-liability-lawyer/.
Enjoy the warm summer months with your dog, but always keep their safety in mind. I think of my dogs as children; I’m responsible for their safety and wellbeing, and they don’t always make the best decisions for themselves.
I hope that these tips for keeping your dog safe during the summer months are helpful, and please let me know if you have anything to add.
If you considering switching your dog to Wellness® dog food starting July 6th through the end of the month, Wellness® Complete Health™ Grain Free recipes and Wellness® Core® dry dog food are $2.00 off at PetSmart®.
You can also learn more about Wellness® dog foods on their social channels:
Tips for keeping your dog safe during the summer
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Wellness® Natural Pet Food. The opinions and text are all mine.